MU Tennis Teams Earn No. 4 Seeds At BIG EAST Championships
April 13, 2009
The Marquette University men’s and women’s tennis teams have earned the No. 4 seeds in their respective 2009 BIG EAST Conference Championships, which begin Thursday in Tampa, Fla., and are hosted by USF.
The men’s team will face No. 5 seed DePaul on Friday at 11 a.m. CT and the women will take on the No. 5 Rutgers/ No. 12 Connecticut winner at the same time. The winner of each title earns the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Championship.
In 2008, the Marquette men’s squad finished fifth in the nine-team field. The Golden Eagles didn’t face DePaul in dual match action this season. The last meeting came in last year’s conference tourney, with the Blue Demons earning a 4-0 victory.
The Marquette women also finished fifth at the 2008 conference tournament, competing in a 12-team field. MU downed Rutgers 4-3 earlier this season and also claimed a 7-0 victory over Connecticut.
The men’s team wrapped up the 2008-09 regular season Monday afternoon against USF, competing on the courts utilized this week for the BIG EAST Championship. The Bulls, currently ranked 44th in the latest national rankings, edged Marquette by posting a 4-3 victory. The Bulls claimed the doubles point and earned three singles wins to secure the win. Posting singles wins for Marquette were Dusan Medan, Niko Boulieris and Jonathan Schwerin.
The setback snapped a seven-match winning streak for Marquette.
The women’s squad defeated Stetson 4-3 in DeLand, Fla., to conclude its regular season campaign.
USF 4, Marquette 3
April 13, 2009
USF Varsity Tennis Courts - Tampa, Fla.
1. Lucas Jovita (USF) def. Trent Hagan (MARQ) 7-5, 6-4
2. Dusan Medan(MARQ) def. Wael Kilani (USF) 6-4, 6-1
3. Niko Boulieris (MARQ) def. Mahmoud Hamed (USF) 6-2, 6-4
4. Jamal Adderley (USF) def. Stephen Shao (MARQ) 6-4, 6-2
5. Romain Deridder (USF) def. Mark Rutherford (MARQ) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jonathan Schwerin (MARQ) def. Yannick Yoshizawa (USF) 7-5, 5-7, 6-1
1.Trent Hagan/Niko Boulieris (MARQ)def. Lucas Jovita/Romain Deridder (USF) 9-7
2. Mahmoud Hamed/Jamal Adderley(USF) def. Dusan Medan/Stephen Shao (MARQ)
3. Yannick Yoshizawa/Wael Kilani def. Jonathan Schwerin/Mark Rutherford (MARQ) 8-4
Marquette 4, Stetson 3
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS