Marquette Drops an 83-76 Decision at Georgetown

Arlesia Morse sank five three-point shots on Friday
Jan. 2, 2015

Box Score | Box Score PDF Get Acrobat Reader

WASHINGTON, D.C.-- The Marquette women's basketball team dropped a close game on the road to Georgetown (3-11, 1-1) on Friday night, 83-76, at McDonough Gymnasium. The Golden Eagles (4-9, 0-2) had three players record double figures, led by 25 points from senior Arlesia Morse.

Along with Morse, freshman Kenisha Bell and senior Chelsie Butler tallied double figures with 18 and 11 points, respectively. Morse grabbed eight rebounds, while shooting 5-for-10 from beyond the arc, and Bell took away seven steals.

Marquette worked its way back into the game in the second half closing the gap at 51-47 after Tia Elbert converted a layup with 12:15 remaining in the game. Senior Cristina Bigica sank a bucket and followed with a three-point shot, which gave the Golden Eagles their first lead in the second half, 56-55 at the 9:39 mark.

MU held a lead until Georgetown knocked down a triple to tie the game at 66 points each with 6:03 left to play. The teams traded points over the next two minutes until the Hoyas made a layup for a 71-69 lead and did not trail the rest of the game.

Overall the Golden Eagles finished shooting 40 percent (26-65) from the field and 72 percent (18-25) from the free-throw line. MU's bench outscored the Hoyas' 15-8.

Georgetown had four players record double figures led by Dorothy Adomako who tallied 21 points and grabbed 13 boards for the night. Faith Woodard also pulled down 10 boards for the Hoyas as they finished for a combined 55 rebounds.

Marquette got off to a strong start to open the first half with an 8-0 run in the first four minutes. Bell scored five of those first eight points and helped the Golden Eagles extend their lead to 17-6 at the 15:36 mark heading into the first media timeout.

MU didn't score a field goal for four minutes of play until redshirt junior Lauren Tibbs converted a layup with 5:46 remaining in the half. The Hoyas stormed back into the game with a 17-4 run through four minutes of play and took a 36-30 lead following a three-point shot from Katie McCormick with 3:29 left in the frame.

MU trailed 40-35 heading into the break after shooting 43.3 percent (13-30) in the first half. Morse and Bell each totaled 11 points, while Morse was 3-for-4 from beyond the arc.

The Golden Eagles will travel to Villanova on Sunday, Jan. 4 to face the Wildcats. Tip-off is slated for Noon CT at The Pavilion.




bid today online auctions