MU Drops a 93-75 Decision to Creighton

Senior guard Arlesia Morse made a career-high 15 free throws Sunday afternoon and shot 100 percent from the line.
Jan. 25, 2015

Box Score | Box Score PDF Get Acrobat Reader

MILWAUKEE - The Marquette University women's basketball team dropped to 4-16 on the season and 0-9 in BIG EAST play with a 93-75 loss to the Creighton Bluejays (10-10, 3-6 BIG EAST) Sunday afternoon at the Al McGuire Center.

Creighton senior Alexis Akin-Otiko led all scorers with 28 points, while senior Arlesia Morse paced Marquette with 21 points. The Flint, Michigan, native converted on all 15 of her free throw attempts, which was both a career high and the most made free throws by a Marquette player this year. She leads the BIG EAST in free throw percentage with 91.5 percent (86 for 94). Her made free-throws also matches an MU program record for made shots set by Katie Young on Nov. 21, 2013.

The Bluejays jumped out to an early 10-0 lead, as the Golden Eagles missed their first five shots from the field, which prompted first-year head coach Carolyn Kieger to take her first timeout with 16:13 remaining in the half. Senior Cristina Bigica got MU on the board on the ensuing possession, spurring an 8-0 MU run.

Junior Marissa Janning and Akin Otiko paired up to score seven of Creighton's next nine points, giving the Bluejays a 19-14 lead. The duo finished the game with 55 combined points.

Thanks, in part, to their effective full-court pressure, the Golden Eagles mounted yet another 8-0 run to secure a 20-19 advantage at the 6:56 mark (their first of the game) and eventually extended that lead to three.

Marquette entered halftime with a lead for the second game in a row, as they nursed a narrow 35-34 advantage after the first 20 minutes. Bigica led all scorers at the half with 11 points. The Bucharest, Romania, native had one of her best all-around games of the season with 13 points, five rebounds and three assists in a team-high 32 minutes.

The Bluejays came out of the break firing, hitting six of their first eight shots from the field and securing a 10-point lead by the first media timeout. Both teams traded baskets over the next four minutes, before Akin-Otiko scored eight unanswered to give Creighton a 69-48 lead at the 10:13 mark, its largest of the game.

Creighton kept its foot on the gas down the stretch, as Marquette was unable to cut the Bluejays' lead to anything less than 14 for the remainder of the game.

The Golden Eagles will conclude their four-game home stand next weekend with games against Villanova and Georgetown on Friday at 7 p.m. Central time and Sunday at 2 p.m., respectively.




bid today online auctions