Post Game Notes vs Pittsburgh (BIG EAST Tournament Quarterfinal)
March 4, 2007
HARTFORD, Conn. -
* Marquette won its first BIG EAST Tournament in program history. Marquette is 4-0 in tournament play this season. The Golden Eagles went 3-0 at the U.S. Virgin Islands Paradise Jam Nov. 23-25.
* The Golden Eagles improved to 25-5 overall on the season. The 25 wins are a school record.
* In the first half there were three ties and four lead changes. For the game there were nine lead changes and six ties. Marquette's largest lead of the game was 13 points with 34 seconds left in the game.
* Marquette trailed at the half, 29-28, for the sixth time this season. MU is 2-4 when down at half time.
* Marquette will play no. 2 seed Rutgers (20-8, 12-4) Monday, March 5, at 8 p.m. ET, in the BIG EAST Semifinals. The game will be broadcast live on ESPNU. Marquette is 0-2 all-time against the Scarlet Knights. The Golden Eagles tied for second place in the BIG EAST, but fell at Rutgers, 66-56, in the two teams regular season meeting on Jan. 30.
* Senior Christina Quaye led Marquette for the 13 time this season with 18 points. It is the 17th consecutive game she has scored in double figures. Quaye has registered double digits in 27 games this season and 93 times for her career.
* Sophomore Krystal Ellis added 15 points marking her 18th consecutive game of 10 or more points, 27th game of the season and 44th of her career.
* Marquette is 20-4 when Ellis and Quaye score in double digits.
* The Golden Eagles were out rebounded 42-41 to mark the seventh time MU has lost the battle of the boards. Marquette is 5-2 when it is out rebounded.
* Marquette held Pitt's leading scorer Shavonte Zellous to just five points and just one field goal. Zellous averages 19.7 ppg.
* The Golden Eagles out scored Pittsburgh in the paint, 26-18. Marquette is 17-1 in those contests.