Smith's OT Goal Lifts Marquette Past Duquesne, 8-7

Taylor Smith's four goals led MU to its first win of the year.
Feb. 28, 2015

Box Score

PITTSBURGH – Taylor Smith’s game-winner with 1:26 remaining in overtime capped off a four-goal afternoon for the redshirt-sophomore and propelled the Marquette University women’s lacrosse team to an 8-7 overtime victory over host Duquesne.

The Golden Eagles (1-3) squandered a two-goal second-half lead that sent the game into overtime, but an impressive performance by Smith and nine saves from junior Sarah Priem gave MU a much-needed win, marking their first of the season.

“Very happy for the team that we were able to come away with the win,” head coach Meredith Black said. “It was a hard fought game the whole way and, for us to come out with a victory, was great. I’m so proud of the team for keeping their heads up through the ups and downs of the game.”

It needed overtime, but Marquette was able to overcome a pair of yellow cards issued late in the second half. Leading 7-5, the Dukes (1-2) took advantage of the on extra player opportunities. Jill Vacanti’s goal with 6:23 remaining in regulation tied the game at 7-7 and the Golden Eagles were unable to regain the lead until late in the overtime session for the road win.

“We travel a lot so we’re used to it, but it’s always tough to win on the road,” said Black. “To be able to come away with a win like this on the road is great. I could tell at every break that they were committed to winning this game and willing to do whatever it took to get it done.”

Smith’s four-goal performance was a career-high and gave her the team-lead with seven goals on the season.

“Taylor is that type of player,” Black said. “She is the kind of player that will do whatever it takes to help the team and today that was pivotal. She was aggressive and a leader on the field.”

Priem led the way defensively, collecting four saves combined in the second half and overtime to deny the Dukes’ comeback effort. Her big stop with under 15 seconds remaining was her ninth of the day and secured the victory.

“Sarah was clutch today,” Black said of her goalie. “She handles pressure situations very well and they lead to shining moments. Today, she kept us alive numerous times and the save at the end helped keep us on top.”

The Golden Eagles put forth a strong performance to close out the first half after trailing twice and committing 14 turnovers. Costanza made it 3-2 with just 1:37 remaining in the first half for her fifth goal of the year and gave MU momentum heading into halftime.

“Our defensive mindset coming in to today was key,” Black said. “Defensive transition played a big role, being able to limit them to only two goals enabled us to gain opportunities to score.”

Duquesne took the first lead of the game just 1:16 into it after Lib Lowry found the net. It would stay that way until the 7:44 mark when Marquette tied it on Allison Lane’s first career score, a free position tally.

Lowry got into the act again and gave the Dukes a 2-1 lead when she assisted on Kaelin Shaw’s goal at the 4:08 mark.

The Golden Eagles then recorded back-to-back goals when Taylor Smith and Costanza connected in the final 2:19.

Marquette trailed in shots, 28-25, but was able to out-shoot Duquesne in the second half and overtime, 17-14. Draw controls were even at 9-9 and each team capitalized on three free position goals.




bid today online auctions