Marquette Drops Tough 11-10 Decision at UConn

Marquette remained close with UConn throughout Sunday's loss.

April 13, 2014

Box Score | Box Score (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader

STORRS, Conn. – The Marquette University women’s lacrosse team hung tight with Connecticut on Sunday afternoon in Storrs, Conn., but was unable to prevail in an 11-10 loss at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.

“I am really proud of today’s response tothe Rutgers game in which I don’t think we played really well overall,” Marquette head coach Meredith Black said. “We came back today fighting and worked really hard so I am proud of the effort we put forward. We came out flat on Friday and today we came out ready for anything. We knew the game was going to be a one-goal game at the end and we were ready to stick with it regardless of the score.”

Freshman Amanda Bochniak led the Golden Eagles (5-8, 1-3 BIG EAST) with four points on a goal and three assists, while Claire Costanza posted one goal and a pair of assists. Marquette also received two goals apiece from sophomores Hayley Baas, Kenzie Brown and Nicole Gleason.

The Huskies (8-5, 3-1 BIG EAST) were paced by five goals from Katherine Finkelston and six points (two goals, four assists) from leading scorer Lauren Kahn.

It was Finkelston who scored the game-winning goal with 7:17 left in regulation from a streaking Kahn, who had just broken up a Baas pass at the top of the arc in MU’s offensive zone.

"We turned it over too many times on our own account," Black said. "When we had the ball down on the offensive end we did well and were very disciplined. We were able to create opportunities and actually getting the ball through the midfield was what hurt us today."

Marquette trailed by just one goal, 11-10, with 4:51 remaining following Brown’s second goal of the afternoon on a free position shot, but could not overcome the Huskies in the final five minutes.

"I told the team that this is good for our program in that we are still growing and we have a lot of room to improve," Black said. "We haven’t been in a game with such a good team this close before and this is a step in the right direction."

The Huskies fired just four more shots than Marquette, 22-18, but were able to maintain possession on 16 of 23 draw controls in the contest.

The Golden Eagles struck first in the game as Costanza curled around the left side of the cage to beat UConn goalie Shannon Nee just under two minutes into action.

The Huskies went on to score the next four goals before Marquette answered with consecutive goals from Bochniak and Baas as MU pulled within one, 4-3. Priem made five saves to keep the Golden Eagles within arm’s reach during that stretch in the first.

Gleason scored with 8:00 left in the first half, but UConn posted two goals within 16 seconds to rebuild its lead to three, 7-4, at the 6:08 mark. Marquette was able to tally the final two goals of the first on a free position shot from Kenzie Brown and Anna Muzika’s first goal of the year with 1:25 to play.

The Huskies took a 7-6 lead into the half after outshooting MU 13-10 with a 10-4 edge in draw controls. Marquette was able to grab 10 ground balls to UConn’s four in the first 30 minutes.

Costanza scored a hat trick in the two squads’ last meeting on April 19, 2013 in Storrs as MU fell 15-4.

The Golden Eagles return to action on Thursday, April 17 at 3 p.m. against Temple at Valley Fields and host Villanova at 11 a.m. on Saturday at Hart Park in Wauwatosa, Wis.




bid today online auctions