Women's Lax Travels to No. 17 Notre Dame, Hosts Niagara
Feb. 27, 2018
Marquette heads to Notre Dame on Wednesady to take on the Fighting Irish at 4 p.m. Central time. The game can be seen live on ACC Network Extra or through the WatchESPN app with statistics provided through GameTracker.
Marquette will welcome the Purple Eagles of Niagara to Valley Fields on Saturday, March 3, which is set for a noon time start with a live video available via GoMarquette.com.
The Golden Eagles closed its three-game homestand unbeaten, concluding the streak with a record-setting 22-12 victory over Stetson on Sunday. During the three-game win streak, Marquette scored 54 goals while allowing just 29.
The victory over Stetson netted a milestone for senior Riley Hill, who surpassed 100 career points and tied a single-game best of seven points with four goals and three assists.
The Golden Eagles received help from four others, who chipped in at least three goals. Allison Lane notched a hat trick with a game-high six groundballs.
Notre Dame enters Wednesday with a 3-2 record following an 11-9 comeback win over Elon last time out. The Irish have one shared opponent this season in Stetson, who they defeated 21-7 earlier this year.
Sunday will mark the first time the Golden Eagles meet the Purple Eagles. Niagara is enters the week with an undefeated 3-0 record and is led by Caroline Crump who has 12 goals on the year.
In addition to Niagara being a first-time opponent, the matchup also serves as a first-time occurrance against a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opponent as well.
• The current scoring trend during the team’s three-game winning streak is quite impressive. MU is averaging 18.67 goals per game during the streak and is on pace for a remarkable 241 goals scored in 2018, which would shatter last year’s record-breaking season of 219 goals.
• MU is outscoring opponents, 71-59 (+12), through five games in 2018.
• The West Islip, NY, native needed just one point entering the Stetson game and recorded seven. She tallied four goals and three assists in the win and now has 63 goals and 43 assists for her career.
• Through five games, Hill’s 10 assists ties teammate Cate Soccodato for the team and BIG EAST lead, while ranking fourth in the nation.
• Lane’s 92 points in her career have come on 75 goals and 17 assists. She has 10 goals and five assists in 2018. The senior currently holds the career lead in draw controls (132), surpassing the century mark last season and jockeying with fellow draw specialist Gabriel (129 draws).
• Gabriel, who has 80 goals and nine assists in just 39 career games, is just 11 points away from the century mark. She leads MU with 22 points on 20 goals and two assists and is currently on pace for nearly 75 points, including nearly 70 goals scored.
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS