Zwolski and Bares Score as MU Downs Loyola College, 3-1
Sept. 14, 2007
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Marquette women's soccer team earned its sixth straight win Friday afternoon as it defeated Loyola College (Md.), 3-1, in the first game of the Colorado College Invitational in Colorado Springs, Colo. Freshman Ashley Bares scored two goals while senior Christy Zwolski added one her own for the Golden Eagles who improve to 6-0 on the season. The Greyhounds drop to 1-3-1 overall.
"It is a nice win for our squad," said head coach Markus Roeders. "We played a good first half and should have scored more but their goalie came up with three great one vs one saves. Zwolski, Ash Bares and Sawicki all had big opportunities. We beat a good team who just came of a weekend were they beat a nationally ranked Wake Forest team and tied Virginia Tech. Our work ethic is outstanding and we are pleased with the progress."
For the game Marquette out-shot Loyola 21-9, including a 15-3 shots on goal differential. Senior goalkeeper Laura Boyer played just over 85 minutes in net and made two saves. Fellow senior keeper Christy Smith saw the remaining five minutes of action in the game and did not touch the ball. Loyola keeper Brittany Henderson made 12 saves for the Greyhounds.
The Golden Eagles went ahead 1-0, in the 17th minute when sophomore Anna Sawicki sent a picture-perfect cross to the foot of Zwolski who finished it. The goal was Zwolski's third of the season.
Loyola countered and evened the score late in the first half on a goal off a corner kick by Heather Cooke. It was the first goal the Golden Eagles surrendered of the season in over 494 minutes of scoreless play.
"We were disappointed about the goal against right before halftime, but responded well in the second 45 minutes," added Roeders. "Our team defense was very good again and we produced enough chances to score three or more."
Marquette, eager to avenge Loyola's goal, did so early in the second half. Bares made it 2-1 in favor of MU and scored an unassisted strike in the 48th minute. Bares received a ball from 20 yards out, turned on a Loyola defender and sent the ball near post past Henderson.
Bares second goal of the game sealed the win for Marquette in the 77th minute. Marquette was awarded a free kick and junior Shannon Cusick sent the ball in the box to Bares. Bares, again, turned on her defender and shot the ball over the Henderson into the back of the net.
MU created several additional opportunities in the second half. Senior Emily Fitzpatrick had a header that went wide, Katie Miller put one over the goal from eight yards out, and freshman Rosie Malone-Povolny's shot on target was blocked by a Greyhound defender.
The Golden Eagles will conclude play in the Colorado College Invitational on Sunday, Sept. 16, when they play Rhode Island at 11 a.m. MT.
Post game notes
* The Golden Eagles improve to 6-0 overall.
* Marquette's five-game shut out streak ended. The Golden Eagles totaled 494 scoreless minutes in net through five consecutive games.
* Ashley Bares scored her fourth and fifth career goals and second career game-winning goal. The rookie has registered a goal in four of six games this season. This was also her first multi-goal game of her career.
* Anna Sawicki notched her third career assist. Sawicki has six points for the season.
* With her goal today, Christy Zwolski stands sixth on the all-time goals list with 20 for her career. She also moves to ninth on the career points list with 48 points.
* Marquette has won each of its games by a two-goal differential.
* Marquette 21 shots mark the sixth straight game the Golden Eagles have tallied 10 or more shots. MU has out shot its opponents, 105-41.