No. 21 Connecticut Drops No. 19 Golden Eagles, 5-0

Sept. 30, 2007

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - No. 21/-/13 Connecticut handed the No. 19/25/12 Marquette women's soccer its first loss of the season in the form of a 5-0 shutout at Morrone Stadium in Storrs, Conn., Sunday afternoon. With the loss, the Golden Eagles fall to 9-1-1 and 2-1-0 in BIG EAST play, while the Huskies win their sixth straight and improve to 7-2-0, 3-0 BIG EAST.

"Congrats to UConn," said head coach Markus Roeders. "They were exceptional today and we got exposed on the goals we allowed. We need to bring our 'A' game against a good team and unfortunately we didn't do that today. The score line is hard to swallow but we rather learn from our mistakes in one game so we can get better and move forward. I know our team will rebound and perform better next time. We had some bright spots and could have scored, but all that is secondary because to our players winning is more important than individual performances."

The Huskies attacked right off the opening whistle leaving the Golden Eagles to take on the chaser role. The Marquette was able to contain the Huskies attack for a majority of the first half and went into the half-time intermission down, 1-0. Connecticut scored its other four goals in the second half. For the game, UConn out-shot the Golden Eagles 19-7. It was the first time all season Marquette was held to less than 10 shots.

Senior goalkeeper Laura Boyer made two saves in 78 minutes of action. The five goals allowed marks the most goals scored by an opponent since 2004 and only the sixth time in program history the Golden Eagles have given up five or more goals.

The Huskies first half goal came in the 39th minute when Megan Schnur was able to get behind the defense with the ball, and MU was called for a foul. On the free kick from about 19 yards out, she was able to hook it around the defenders and into the left side of the goal. Forty-two seconds into the second half, Kacey Richards found the back of the net to put the Huskies ahead 2-0. Less than two minutes later, the Huskies made it 3-0 on another Schur goal. On a cross from Riviere, Schnur one-timed a quick shot right in front of Boyer. Becky Gundling scored UConn's fourth goal 55th minute. Elizabeth Eng sent a pass from the left corner across the box to Gundling who was left unmarked. Gundling one-timed it past Boyer for the score. Erin Clark scored UConn's fifth and final goal of the game in the 78th minute. She hit a long ball from 22 yards out to the left corner out of reach for Boyer.



Marquette returns to action Friday, Oct. 5, when it hosts nationally ranked Villanova at 7 p.m., at Valley Fields.


bid today online auctions