Marquette Finishes in 1-1 Draw at St. John's

Mary Luba scored her 4th goal of the season at St. John's
Oct. 2, 2014

Box Score | Box Score PDF Get Acrobat Reader

JAMAICA, N.Y.-- The Marquette University women's soccer team (6-5-2, 2-0-1) finished in a 1-1 draw at St. John's (6-5-1, 2-0-1) on Thursday night through two overtime periods at Belson Stadium.

The Golden Eagles lone goal came in the 38th minute when sophomore Meegan Johnston played a perfect ball to senior Mary Luba who placed a header into the far post, scoring her fourth goal of the season. Luba's goal snapped a 330-minute scoreless streak for St. John's.

St. John's tied the game at 1-1 in the 68th minute as Jesse Schaefer took a long shot to the far corner of the net. Her goal came on a rebound after a corner kick that sailed just over Engel's head. The Red Storm had a first corner kick that was deflected by junior goalkeeper Amanda Engel, but the second corner kick rebounded off a defender's head and was played right into the net.

"It was a tough battle between two of the best teams in the league tonight," head coach Markus Roeders said. "St. John's is always a challenging opponent and even more at home. It took us about 20 minutes to settle in, but we played very well from there on out. Mary's finish of Meegan's cross was fantastic. Defensively, we really did a nice job tonight and eliminated many opportunities St. John's had. As much as we did everything possible to win this game, we can't be overly disappointed. We did earn a result on the road. The key is now to rebound and be ready for Xavier Sunday at home."

With the game tied, the two teams went back and forth controlling possession. In the 80th minute, freshman Eli Beard took a fast shot inside the box that was blocked by St. John's. The Red Storm followed with a charge down the field and sent a header wide right with an open net that could have given them a lead. A free kick from Luba in the 82nd minute was blocked by St. John's and in the 85th minute Engel came up with a timely save for the Golden Eagles as Rachel Daly took a shot from about 12 yards out.

The two overtime periods were quiet with just three shots combined and no saves, compared to the first 90 minutes of play. Engel played all 110 minutes in net and recorded three saves, while the Red Storm goalkeeper Diana Poulin tallied four saves in 110 minutes.

MU held a 19-12 advantage on total shots for the game.

The Golden Eagles will return home on Sunday, Oct. 5 to host Xavier at Valley Fields. Kick-off is set for 1 p.m. Central time.




bid today online auctions