Georgetown Tops No. 24 Marquette, 3-1

Oct. 7, 2007

Box Score

Game Photo Gallery

Soccer Kid's Clinic and Parent's Day Photo Gallery

MILWAUKEE - The No. 24 Marquette University women's soccer team had their 12-game home unbeaten streak snapped Sunday afternoon as Georgetown topped the Golden Eagles, 3-1, at Valley Fields. Freshman Ashley Bares scored MU's lone goal in the 66th minute. With the loss, Marquette falls to 10-2-1 overall, 3-2-0 in BIG EAST play, while the Hoyas improve to 9-3-0, 2-2-0.

"This is a tough loss for our team, but we didn't give a consistent effort," said head coach Markus Roeders. "Credit to Georgetown for getting through the early spell and staying in the game when we should have scored two or three goals. We came out stronger in the second half, but unfortunately, their second goal put us behind the eight ball and we had to push forward leading to the third."

For the game, Marquette out-shot the Hoyas, 12-7 including a 7-6 shots on goal advantage. Senior goalkeeper Laura Boyer made three stops in 90 minutes of action, while Jackie Desjardin tallied six saves.

Marquette was on its attack early and had opportunities in the first two minutes of the game. Sophomore Michelle Compty put a shot on goal that Desjardin knocked out and freshman Rosie Malone-Povolny followed up with an unlucky strike seconds later. Seniors Allison Mallams and Christy Zwolski continued to fire away, but neither could convert.



Georgetown scored its first goal of the game in the 22nd minute when Sara Jordon sent the ball on the ground to the foot of Toni Marie Hudson who one-timed it low past Boyer.

The Golden Eagles came out fired up in the second half, but two quick Georgetown goals within three minutes of other stifled MU's intent of a comeback.

In the 53rd minute, after a Georgetown throw in, a Hoya attacker sent the ball on target that Boyer punched out. Jordan was in the right place at the right time to collect the rebound and knock it in for the Hoyas' second goal of the afternoon.

Georgetown made it 3-0 three minutes later when Ingrid Wells sent a ball up to Hudson who broke away from the MU defense. Boyer came out of the box to challenge the attempt and Hudson easily tapped it into the goal.

The bright spot of the match was Bares' goal in the 66th minute from Zwolski. However, the goal proved to be too little too late for Marquette despite the Golden Eagles' valiant effort to rally.

"We didn't give up, but mounting a comeback from three goals down against any team is a tall task and we didn't get it done," said Roeders.

Marquette had one more quality opportunity in the 78th minute as Georgetown was called for a foul just outside the top of the box. Mallams took the free kick that skimmed the crossbar over the goal.

The Golden Eagles return to action at Valley Fields on Friday, Oct. 12, at 7 p.m., when they host St. John's on senior night.

"The team and coaches will do some soul searching and I am certain a good week of practice will get us ready for next Friday," added Roeders.


bid today online auctions