Marquette Upsets No. 6 Georgetown in 4-0 Shutout

Senior Cara Jacobson All-Access: Post-Match Recap With Roeders, Madigan

Oct. 13, 2013

Box Score | Photo Gallery | Box Score PDF

MILWAUKEE-- It was a day of celebration as the Marquette women's soccer team capped off the grand opening of the new stadium at Valley Fields with a 4-0 shutout over No. 6/8 Georgetown on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

With the victory the Golden Eagles snap a 13-game unbeaten streak from the Hoyas and remain in sole possession of first place in the BIG EAST standings as they improve to12-3 overall and 5-0 in league play. Georgetown falls to 11-1-2 and 3-1-1 in the conference.

MU's win-streak has now reached seven games, while the unbeaten streak at Valley Fields is still rolling at 18 consecutive matches.

"Our team knew we had to play at a high level today to beat a very good Georgetown team and we excelled in all areas of the game," head coach Markus Roeders said. "I am excited for our group because they rose to the challenge. When you play as good of a squad as Georgetown, you know one goal won't get you a win, and for us to score four showed that we did a great job of creating and finishing our chances. We will enjoy the victory today and refocus on the road ahead by tomorrow."

Senior Taylor Madigan put MU on the board first after she took a pass from classmates Vanessa Legault-Cordisco and Maegan Kellyfrom the right side and found the back of the net, putting the Golden Eagles in front, 1-0. It proved to be the game-winner and her fifth goal of the season.

Just seconds after entering the game, freshman Ashley Handwork ran up the middle of the field after a pass from sophomore Jacie Jermierand shot past the keeper from the 18-yard box, which extended Marquette's lead to 2-0 in the 37th minute.

The Golden Eagles' 2-0 lead held throughout halftime as MU held a slight 6-4 edge on shots, while sophomore goalkeeper Amanda Engelrecorded two saves in the frame.

MU's offense continued its attack right out of the halftime break as Madigan sent a pass to Kelly from the right side and the shot sailed to the far post for a 3-0 lead in the 50th minute of play.

In the 56th minute senior Cara Jacobson split defenders and ran down the middle with a shot to the far post, which gave the Golden Eagles a 4-0 advantage. It was her third this season and came unassisted.

Marquette continued to look for scoring opportunities dominating ball possession, despite the four goal advantage, and finished the game with an 11-6 advantage on shots, including 7-4 on goal.  Engel finished the day with four saves in 80 minutes played. Junior keeper Sofie Schunk played nine minutes in the contest.

 The Golden Eagles will play two road contests next week beginning at Seton Hall on Thursday, Oct. 17 at 6 p.m. CT before traveling to DePaul on Sunday, Oct. 20 at 1 p.m.




bid today online auctions