Madden's acrobatics push MU past St. John's, 2-1, in OT

Nov. 4, 2016

Box Score | Box Score (PDF) Get Acrobat Reader


WASHINGTON, D.C. – Redshirt sophomore Carrie Madden’s amazing bicycle kick goal in the 96th minute pushed the Marquette University women’s soccer team into the tournament title match of the BIG EAST Conference Women’s Soccer Championship with a 2-1 overtime victory against St. John’s on Friday afternoon at Shaw Field in Washington, D.C.

“That was a tough game and both teams gave everything they had,” Marquette head coach Markus Roeders said. “They came out on fire and we could have easily been down by a couple early on. It was the type of game you expect this time of year – back and forth and both teams had chances. For us to score in overtime and then the way Carrie did it. Obviously we are excited to move on, but a lot of credit to (St. John’s head coach) Ian Stone and his team.”

Madden’s goal was her second of the afternoon and her second winner in extra time in the last three matches. Marquette (12-6-2) has now won three overtime matches in a row, following Madden’s winner against Butler on Oct. 23 and Eli Beard’s strike against DePaul on Oct. 28 to win the BIG EAST regular season crown.

“Carrie has come a long way,” Roeders said. “She had a hard start coming into college with the injuries she had and it took her two years to get to this point. She has really come on and embraced the role that we have given her and become more and more dangerous. I couldn’t be happier for her.”

Today’s winner came on a great ball served into the box by junior defender Madison Dunker from just inside midfield. Madden moved inside to shield her defender and lifted her right leg in front of her before flicking the ball backwards to beat BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Year Diana Poulin inside the far post.

“It was a good ball in and I thought just go for it and I hit it right I guess,” Madden said following the win. “I don’t know honestly it just happened so fast. Being (in overtime) before, we were confident and we know we can score goals like that. We knew we we’re pushing before the overtime and just being confident in our skills and knowing that we still have 20 minutes to play.”

Madden went down with a leg injury with just minutes remaining in regulation, but returned to the pitch for the start of overtime.

Friday’s match marks the fifth time in program history that the Golden Eagles have played three consecutive overtime contests and the first time they have come out victorious in all three.

The Red Storm controlled the pace early until a play stoppage in the sixth minute for a helicopter landing at nearby Georgetown University Hospital. The Golden Eagles were able to wrest back possession after the break, but St. John’s struck first in the 29th minute as Morgan Tinari found Samie Scaffidi who beat MU keeper Maddy Henry to the far side.

Marquette was able to equalize before the half as Liz Bartels sent a deep cross in from the right side that Madden was able to head past Poulin.

Madden’s two goals are a career best and mark the third time this season that an MU player has scored twice in a single contest. BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year Morgan Proffitt also had a pair of goals in MU’s win over DePaul last weekend.

The Golden Eagles are 2-1 all-time in the BIG EAST tournament finals with wins in their last two tries in 2012 and 2013.

Win the victory, top-seeded Marquette advances to its fourth BIG EAST tournament title match, in which it will face either second-seeded DePaul or third-seeded and No. 10 Georgetown. Sunday’s championship tilt will air live at noon Central time on FS1 from Washington, D.C.

Keep up with the Marquette women’s soccer program all season long through social media by following on Twitter (@MUWomensSoccer) and Instagram (@MarquetteWSOC) and ‘liking’ on Facebook (/MUWomensSoccer).




bid today online auctions