Women's Tennis Wins Two Matches Sunday, Defeating ISU and Green Bay
Feb. 14, 2010
On Valentine's Day in Milwaukee, the Marquette women's tennis team recorded convincing wins over Illinois State and Green Bay to improve to 7-3 on the season. The Golden Eagles played ISU to a 6-1 win, and swept the Phoenix in afternoon play, 7-0.
"I think you have to have some matches like this that can really get you to start feeling what you're capable of doing," said Marquette head coach Jody Bronson. "Then when you get in the tougher matches, you have to take those easier matches with you, and say, 'I can do the same thing on this court as I did before.' It's just something that reinforces that you're doing the right thing and you're staying after it."
In the morning session of the doubleheader, Marquette jumped out to an early lead taking the doubles point, as No. 1 juniors Christina Ruiz/Rachael Hush and No. 2 sophomores Paola Calderon/Olga Fischer tallied 8-5 wins over their ISU opponents.
In singles play, the Golden Eagles won at the No. 2 through No. 6 spots, including dominating wins by Rachael Hush over Ariane Maack (6-1, 6-2), Ruiz over Carmen Peters (6-0, 6-1) and sophomore Gillian Hush over Hannah Esker (6-2, 6-0).
Green Bay was swept in afternoon action, giving up all three doubles point and unable to come within more than three in singles play.
The doubles teams of No. 1 Ruiz/Rachael Hush, No. 2 Calderon/Fischer and No. 3 Gillian Hush/senior Maggie Wilson each captured wins over the Phoenix. At No. 2 and No. 3, the Marquette duos shut out Green Bay, winning 8-0 at each position.
"Our doubles, especially Rachael and Christina, and Gillian and Maggie, have done very, very well," said Bronson. "I thought that Paola and Olga today really turned it around. For them, they came out and really played smart and were able to do things that they do well. Hopefully they'll continue to do that, and this will give them that little push and confidence that they needed."
Freshman Kelly Barry and Gillian Hush tallied 6-0, 6-0 wins over their singles opponents, No. 3 Laura Bartingale and No. 5 Lauryn Grimando, respectively. No. 1 Calderon, No. 2 Fischer, No. 4 Rachael Hush and No. 6 senior Elly Strother closed out scoring for the Golden Eagles.
Marquette will next be in action at Iowa and Iowa State on Friday and Saturday, respectively.
"One of the things that we've struggled with is being on the road," said Bronson. "Our Western Michigan match was a great example of that. I thought we should have won that match, and we lost that match. Now, we have to understand that when we go on the road, nothing changes. We have to do the same things the same way that we're supposed to do them, and follow them through. We've got to put it together and especially in a season when we're on the road a lot, we have to get it done on the road. We have two very good teams - Iowa is nationally ranked and Iowa State has gotten so much better. We're going to have two really good matches."
Marquette 6, Illinois State 1
1. Christina Ruiz/Rachael Hush (MARQ) def. Julia Zubkova/Franziska Steinhardt (ISU) 8-5
2. Paola Calderon/Olga Fischer (MARQ) def. Aniko Kiss/Natalia Lech (ISU) 8-5
3. Hannah Esker/Carmen Peters (ISU) def. Gillian Hush/Maggie Wilson (MARQ) 8-5
1. Kiss (ISU) def. Calderon (MARQ) 7-6, 7-5
2. Fischer (MARQ) def. Zubkova (ISU) 6-0, 1-6, 10-5
3. Kelly Barry (MARQ) def. Steinhardt (ISU) 7-5, 6-2
4. R. Hush (MARQ) def. Ariane Maach (ISU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Ruiz (MARQ) def. Peters (ISU) 6-0, 6-1
6. G. Hush (MARQ) def. Esker (ISU) 6-2, 6-0
Marquette 7, Green Bay 0
1. Ruiz/R. Hush (MARQ) def. Lauryn Grimando/Jennifer Bradfield (GB) 8-3
2. Calderon/Fischer (MARQ) def. Emily Lawent/Rebecca Nelson (GB) 8-0
3. G. Hush/Wilson (MARQ) def. Laura Bartingale/Morgan Weuve (GB) 8-0
1. Calderon (MARQ) def. Bradfield (GB) 6-1, 6-0
2. Fischer (MARQ) def. Weuve (GB) 6-0, 6-2
3. Barry (MARQ) def. Bartingale (GB) 6-0, 6-0
4. R. Hush (MARQ) def. Nelson (GB) 6-0, 6-3
5. G. Hush (MARQ) def. Grimando (GB) 6-0, 6-0
6. Elly Strother (MARQ) def. Maria Anderson (GB) 6-0, 6-1
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS