Women's Tennis Falls at Iowa, 6-1, Friday Afternoon
Feb. 19, 2010
IOWA CITY -
In the Hawkeye State Friday afternoon, Marquette women's tennis fell to Iowa, 6-1. The Golden Eagles (7-4) will face Iowa State at 1 p.m. Saturday.
Iowa (4-1) took the doubles point, winning at the No. 2 and 3 spots as juniors Rachael Hush and Christina Ruiz forced the match at No. 1 into a tiebreaker. Their loss is just the third of the season in doubles play.
Freshman Kelly Barry was the lone Marquette player to tally a singles win on Friday. Barry defeated Iowa's Merel Beelen, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5 at No. 3.
Ruiz came within two in the first set at No. 5, falling 6-4, but was unable to stay close in the second, falling 6-1. Sophomore Gillian Hush's loss at No. 6 was only her third of the season in singles action, as she falls to 8-3 in dual action.
Marquette plays Iowa State tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m. on a neutral site in Iowa City. ISU enters the match Saturday 3-2 overall. Marquette owns the all-time series, 4-0.
1. Molnar/Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. R. Hush/Ruiz (Marquette) 8-7(7-1)
2. Klockenga/Young (Iowa) def. Calderon/Fischer (Marquette) 8-6
3. Beelen/Chmelarova (Iowa) def. G. Hush/Wilson (Marquette) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Paola Calderon (Marquette) 6-2, 6-1
2. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Olga Fischer (Marquette) 6-3
3. Kelly Barry (Marquette) def. Merel Beelen (Iowa) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Jessica Young (Iowa) def. Rachael Hush (Marquette) 6-0, 6-4
5. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Christina Ruiz (Marquette) 6-4, 6-1
6. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) def. Gillian Hush (Marquette) 6-1, 6-3
Exhibition: Ally Majercik (Iowa) def. Elly Strother (Marquette) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 4, 5, 2, 6, 3
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS