Marquette Tops Rutgers, 5-2
March 2, 2012
MILWAUKEE - The Marquette University women's tennis team earned a 5-2 victory over BIG EAST Conference opponent Rutgers Friday afternoon at Helfaer Tennis Stadium.
Marquette improves to 8-2 overall with the win, while the defeat drops the Scarlet Knights to 5-3 overall on the campaign. The Golden Eagles are 7-1 at home and 3-0 against league opponents this season.
In doubles play, Ana Pimienta paired with Rocio Diaz at the No. 2 spot to claim a 8-2 victory, before Kristina Radan and Ali Dawson captured the opening doubles point for MU with a 8-5 win at the No. 3 position.
Senior Gillian Hush defeated Rutgers' Jennifer Holzberg, 6-3, 7-5, at No. 2 singles to add a 10th victory to her unblemished singles record. This is the fourth-striaght season that Hush has earned double-digit singles victories.
The Scarlet Knights managed to keep the contest close with a pair of singles wins at the No. 3 and 6 positions.
MU eventually picked up additional singles victories from Diaz and senior Olga Fischer to give Marquette a 4-2 advantage. Pimienta earned the Golden Eagles their fifth and final point of the match, battling Noor Judeh to a tiebreaker win, 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8), at the No. 5 spot.
Marquette opens a four-game road swing on Sunday, March 4, heading to Indiana to take on the Hoosiers at 10 a.m. CT.
Marquette 5, Rutgers 2
1. Olga Fischer (MARQ) def. Jennifer Holzberg (RU) 6-2, 7-6
2. Gillian Hush (MARQ) def. Vanessa Petrini (RU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Morgan Ivey (RU) def. Ali Dawson (MARQ) 6-2, 6-4
4. Rocio Diaz (MARQ) def. Stefania Balasa (RU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Ana Pimienta (MARQ) def. Noor Judeh (RU) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Kristina Radan (MARQ) 6-4, 6-1
1. Jennifer Holzberg/Vanessa Petrini (RU) def. Gillian Hush/Olga Fischer (MARQ) 9-8
2. Ana Pimienta/Rocio Diaz (MARQ) def. Stefina Balasa/Noor Judeh (RU) 8-2
3. Kristina Radan/Ali Dawson (MARQ) def. Morgan Ivey/Lindsay Balsamo 8-5