Golden Eagles Sweep Seton Hall, 7-0
March 5, 2011
The Marquette women's tennis team swept Seton Hall, 7-0, in the first of two road matches this weekend. With the victory, the Golden Eagles recorded their first road win of the season and now boast a 9-4 overall record.
The Golden Eagles took an early lead in South Orange, N.J., claiming wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles spots to clinch the doubles point. Chelsea Utting and Gillian Hush dominated the Pirates at No. 3 doubles, 8-1. Though SHU came close at No. 2, Paola Calderon and Rocio Diaz pulled away with an 8-6 victory.
Utting, Diaz, Calderon, Gillian Hush, Olga Fischer, Kelly Barry each recorded singles victories. Barry leads the team with eight single wins in spring play, with four from the No. 1 and four at the No. 2 position.
The Pirates fall to 1-7 on the season.
MU travels to Rutgers on Sunday, March 7 at 9 a.m. CT. The Scarlet Knights are 5-3 in dual play, and have won two of the last three. The Golden Eagles have won eight of their last nine, dating back to a win over Iowa State on February 11.
Marquette 7, Seton Hall 0
1. Sher/Sunbul (SHU) def. Rachael Hush/Chirstina Ruiz (MU) 8-6
1. Olga Fischer (MU) def. Pui Wing Sher (SHU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kelly Barry (MU) def. Belfin Sunbul (SHU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Paola Calderon (MU) def. Elizabeth Verow (SHU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Gillian Hush (MU) def. Courtney Kilarski (SHU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Rocio Diaz (MU) def. Michelle Weerasinghe (SHU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Chelsea Utting (MU) def. Slavina Kaplonska (SHU) 6-0, 2-0 (ret.)
GOMARQUETTE.COM THE OFFICIAL HOME OF MARQUETTE ATHLETICS