Marquette Topped by No. 52 San Diego State, 5-2
March 15, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -
The Marquette women’s tennis team concluded its west coast swing at San Diego State on Friday as the Golden Eagles (9-8) fell 5-2 to the Aztecs. MU played in one other match in California during its spring break trip.
MU got off to a hot start winning the doubles point as sophomore Ali Dawson and freshman Aina Hernandez Soler topped SDSU’s No. 1 singles duo, 8-5. At No. 2 doubles, sophomore Ana Pimienta and Erin Gebes teamed up to defeat Julia Wais and Kristin Buth, 8-4 helping the Golden Eagles to the early point.
In singles, the Aztecs took the point on each court, except for No. 5 singles as Hernandez Soler bested Tami Nguyen, 6-1, 6-4. Freshman Vanessa Foltinger nearly defeated her opponent in the sixth slot as she won the first set, 6-2, but fell in the remaining two sets.
Marquette will return home to the Helfaer Tennis Stadium for the first time in six matches on Sunday, March 24 as the Golden Eagles will host Illinois State at 11 a.m. CT.
No. 52 San Diego State 5, Marquette 2
1. Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Ana Pimienta (MU) - 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
2. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) def. Rocio Diaz (MU) - 6-0, 6-0
3. Laura Antonana Iriarte (SDSU) def. Erin Gebes (MU) - 6-4, 6-1
4. Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Ali Dawson (MU) - 6-1, 6-1
5. Aina Hernandez Soler (MU) def. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) - 6-1, 6-4
6. Michela Casanova (SDSU) def. Vanessa Foltinger (MU) - 2-6, 6-4, 6-2