Junior libero Lauren Houg averages 5.04 digs
Oct. 25, 2015
MILWAUKEE--The Marquette University women’s volleyball team will take a break from BIG EAST play to welcome crosstown-foe Milwaukee to the Al McGuire Center in a rare Monday night contest, which will serve as the final non-conference matchup of the season. The match is slated to begin at 7 p.m. Central time and will air live on Time Warner Cable SportsChannel with Matt Menzl and Michelle Griffin-Wenzel calling the action.
The Golden Eagles are riding a four-match winning streak, after defeating Villanova, 3-1 on Saturday evening. With the win Marquette improved to 8-3 overall in the league standings, which is currently third place. Junior setter Sara Blasier earned her seventh double-double of the season against the Wildcats dishing out 37 assists and collecting a career-high 24 digs. Taylor Louis and Joy Miley each reach double-digit kills with 19 and 13, respectively. The 13 kills was a career-best for Miley. On Oct. 19 Louis was the first player to be named BIG EAST Player and Freshman of the Week after averaging 6.07 kills in matches one week ago.
Milwaukee enters the match with just a 6-17 record overall and 4-67 in Horizon League action. Last time out, the Panthers fell in five sets to Cleveland State and have won just won match in their previous five contests, a 3-2 victory over Youngstown State. Milwaukee is led by Maggie Dunbar averaging 3.13 kills per set and a .252 hitting percentage, while setter Kayla Price is handing out 9.92 assists per contest to her teammates. Myana Ruiz has tallied 4.97 digs per set this season.
This match concludes a five-match homestand for the Golden Eagles as they will travel to BIG EAST travel partner DePaul on Saturday, Oct. 31 to face the Blue Demons at 7 p.m. CT. Following this, MU returns home for the final two home matches of the season.
For additional coverage, follow Marquette volleyball on Twitter (@MarquetteVB).
SCOUTING THE COMPETITION:
MILWAUKEE [6-17 (4-7 Horizon League) | mkepanthers.com | @MKE_volleyball: Monday is the 77th all-time meeting between the two Milwaukee schools. Wisconsin-Milwaukee is 6-17 overall and 4-7 in the Horizon League this season and is led by Maggie Dunbar with 3.13 kills per contest. Last season Teal Schnurr totaled a career-high 10 blocks helping MU to a sweep of the Panthers across town at the Klotche Center. Marquette has won its last nine matches against Milwaukee with the last loss a four-set defeat on Oct. 17, 2007 at UW-Milwaukee. Series History: Milwaukee leads Serles 46-30-1
MARQUETTE QUICK HITS:
• RPI Update: Oct. 5- No. 25 | Oct. 12- No. 36 | Oct. 19- No. 33
• Taylor Louis became the first player this season to be named BIG EAST Player and Freshman of the Week on Oct. 19. Louis helped lead MU. The Skokie, Ill. native averaged a league-best 6.33 points and 6.17 kills per set in consecutive 3-0 sweeps over both Providence and St. John’s. She also averaged 2.83 digs through the two matches. Her 20 kills against St. John’s were a match high for the conference this week in a three-set win, while the 17 kills against Providence were
second-best in the category. Against the Red Storm, Louis’ .395 hitting percentage was her second-best this year and it was the 10th time this season that she recorded 20+ kills. It was the first time she reached 20 kills in a three-set match. Against Providence, Louis notched her sixth double-double of the year with 17 kills and 11 digs.
• Marquette has had a player earn a conference weekly award each week this season: Aug. 31: Taylor Louis (FotW) Meghan Niemann (PotW) | Sept. 7: Taylor Louis (Honor Roll) | Sept. 14: Taylor Louis (Honor Roll) | Sept. 21: Taylor Louis (FotW) | Sept. 28: Joy Miley (Honor Roll) | Oct. 5: Lauren Houg (Honor Roll) | Oct. 12: Meghan Niemann (Honor Roll) | Oct. 19: Taylor Louis (PotW/FotW)
• Taylor Louis has increased her average to 5.04 kills per set, which leads the BIG EAST and ranks second in the NCAA, while Lauren Houg leads the league with 5.04 digs per set and sits 24th in the country.
• As a squad Marquette is establishing itself as one of the top teams in the BIG EAST Conference and sits in the top-three of six major categories. The Golden Eagles lead the league with 16.55 digs per set, which is 28th in the NCAA. MU is ranked second in both hitting percentage (.249) and assists (12.89 per set), while the squad is third in the league with 13.75 kills per set.
• Prior to the weekend, The Golden Eagles played six consecutive matches in just three sets and has 12 straight set matches this season. MU is 8-4 overall in those matches.
• Three different MU players have tallied double-doubles this season. Sara Blasier has recorded five (8/28 vs. North Dakota, 8/29 vs. Dayton, 9/4 vs. Oral Roberts, 9/19 vs. IUPUI, 9/30 vs. Butler, 10/16 vs. Providence), Taylor Louis has also tallied five (9/4 vs. Oral Roberts, 9/5 vs. Miami, 9/18 vs. Wichita State, 9/19 vs. Albany, 10/2 at Villanova), 10/16 vs. Providence), while Lauren Houg (9/30 vs. Butler) and Mary Nilles (9/12 vs. Northern Colorado) have each posted one.
The Last Meeting
November 4, 2014
Schnurr Posts 10 Blocks as Marquette Sweeps Milwaukee
A career-high 10 block assists from sophomore middle hitter Teal Schnurr led the Marquette University women's volleyball team to a 25-20, 25-12, 25-16 sweep of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Tuesday evening at the Klotsche Center.